So you think you can sneak in that Mars bar without any consequence? Unless you are an exercise enthusiast and can keep doing workouts longer, or is lucky enough to find time to do so, then go ahead, eat up all that 294 calories. Otherwise, think twice and thrice or just put it back where you got it from. Because those extra hundred calories of snacks will require you to take on extra work to keep the pounds away.
Let me refresh you on how much calories some popular snacks and food have. A cheeseburger has 379, a 100 g of french fries has 294, 100 g of popcorn has 405, a 2 finger bar or 21g of Kit Kat has 106 and a donut has 140.
So here’s a list of activities just to give you an idea on how much work is required to burn off 100 calories. Keep them in mind the next time you find yourself munching beyond your ideal daily calorie count. And if you already did, the read on the extra tips to make the task burn off more than just 100 calories.
1. Brisk walk for 15 minutes. Walk the dog while doing so. Make sure you grab a timer with you so you can know what is the best route for you to take and reach that 15 minute goal. Then push yourself to do an extra 5 or 10 minute.
2. Jog in place for 12 minutes. Or better yet jump on the treadmill and set it on a jogging pace. Adding an incline to your jog or increasing the pace will augment the calories burned.
3. Slow dance for 26 minutes. That would equate to approximately 7 songs. Grab a partner or put on a faster song to increase your burning power.
4. Grab the vacuum cleaner and go for it for 25 minutes. Use those arms for that pull and push motion. Alternate from the right to the left arm every 5 minutes or so.
5. Head to your garden, dig and rake for 15 minutes. Come up with a project to give you extra motivation and try to spend more than just 15 minutes to melt those calories away.
6. Iron your clothes for 25 minutes. Find a place far from where the closets are. So you can walk back and forth every time a piece is done. Adding this tip will certainly burn more than 100 calories.
7. Bike around your neighborhood at 10mph in 40 minutes. If you are up to the challenge, then pretend a wild dog is chasing you so increase your speed to keep that heart pumping and the calories going.
8. Swim for 15 minutes. This refers to a leisurely lap. So why not up the ante and imagine you are in the Olympics and chasing gold.
9. Wax your car for 20 minutes. Do it as the Karate kid does. Offer to wax your neighbors car too to burn off more.
10. Climb the stairs for 20 minutes. Make it a habit to locate the stairs sign and force your legs to take you there instead of using the lift.
Remember that these will only burn 100 calories so that’s just enough to burn off the calories in a can of coke (139 calories). And you need to multiply the time by 3 if you are still insisting on that Mars bar. Keep these activities and extra tips in mind and use them as motivation to stop yourself from snacking unnecessarily. Or better yet choose healthier snacks. Snacking on high calorie food can be one of the culprits of your weight gain. And this list proves that you if you eat them then you just have to burn them off.
About the Author